How fun would it be to attend a Political Convention?! I think it would be fun & exciting! But most of us will just have to do with watching them on TV or following along on Social Media. I have spent time in Cleveland, which is a great city BTW! And Here are just a few things I observed while watching the Republican Convention . . .
- People seem to forget something all our Mothers should have taught us when we were little, which is "If You Can't Say Anything Nice, Don't Say Anything At All!" I heard my Mom say it! Didn't you? I feel like if Politicians spent as much time letting the voting public know what they stand for, and what they will do in office, rather than just bashing their opponents or the establishment, we would all know better what to vote for! For example, I had considered voting for Chris Christy, (back when there were half a million Republican candidates) I'd watch the debates, and I kinda liked him. But after watching him at the Convention, and seeing just how mean and nasty he is, I would never vote for him now! I don't need to know how bad you think someone else is, tell me what you've done and what you will do! You know I love Interviews! And this is basically a Job Interview, (for the most important job of all!) and if a potential employee went into a job interview, and did nothing but bash their previous employer, and talk smack, and failed to tell you who they are, and articulate what they could do for your company and why you should hire them, you would never pick them to work for you. I just think Politicians should keep that in mind!
- I like the Trump Kids even more than I did before! I've watched The Apprentice, since it's inception, and have followed all the Trumps on Social Media, I've always liked and respected Ivanka, but the boys aren't showcased as much & don't talk as often on the show. I liked hearing from them and much of what they had to say!
- Though I've never been a huge fan of Ted Cruz, I like that he stuck to his convictions and didn't totally support someone who attacked him and his family in such a hateful way, by belittling his wife. Yet still supported his Party.
- All that time they spent spewing hate and bashing the other party, they needed to let this nation know what the Party and Candidate actually stand for. What actual Policies will be put in place? They showed where they stand on Gun Laws, but what about "People Laws?" Until Ivanka spoke the last night, Women's Issues weren't really addressed, and even then, specifics weren't listed. When looking at Candidates I need to know where they stand on Education, Equal Pay and other Women's and Minority Issues. And I didn't get what I needed. From the looks of the Convention, one might conclude that Guns are more Important to the Republican Party than People are?! I hope that's not true, I'm just saying how it looked.
- Good or Bad, people will judge us by our children! You always hear people bashing the parents when a kid turns out bad, or praising the parents for their children's accomplishments. And I must say this point bodes really well for me, cause I have really great kids myself! :) And Donald Trump's Children are Poised and Successful. And as I've stated above, I like them! Though I do find it amusing that even though Donald has clearly stated that he never has & never will change a diaper, and that it's the mothers responsibility to rear the children, that he is touted as a good father, and therefore a good man. A family man, which I think he is, even though he's on his 3rd wife, and is a known womanizer.
- Which brings me to my last point; Do Actions Really Speak Louder Than Words? If Ivanka's introduction of her father were the first and only thing I knew of him, I would for sure be voting him. But I've followed him for years, watched every season of The Apprentice and Celebrity Apprentice, so I've seen his actions with my own eyes. The way he puts down women, or reduces them by sexualizing them. And I even really liked some of Donald's own words given in his speech, he even praised the crowed for cheering at his words of accepting everyone, no matter their background. Yet his actions were to choose a running mate who fought for a law to allow companies to discriminate against people who's lifestyle they don't agree with. So, should I go by his words or his actions? I believe there is good in all of us, I also believe we all are capable of evil. No one is all good. And no one is all bad. Don't call people names, call out what you can and will do to for this nation. It didn't look good that other Republican Politicians don't appear to be backing him, not just Ted Cruz, there were no Bushes present, no John McCain, (who is a beloved Arizonan, an American Hero, who Donald Trump has also said some terrible things about!) I did see, Bob Dole, who I like & respect very much, was there. I think both parties are torn. I guess I'm like Ivanka, and the many millennials she talked about, who don't just vote blindly for one party, but actually look at each candidate and vote for the one who most lines up with what they believe in. So, you'll just have to stay tuned to see what, if anything, I learn from the Democratic Convention happening soon.
Saturday, July 23, 2016
Wednesday, July 20, 2016
That Go-Go's song goes around in my head while packing for any Vacation!
We took a little trip to Lake Havasu City, Arizona
Where our Sister & Brother in Law live & have built themselves a Paradise
My Husband's other sister who lives in Colorado,
flew in & went with us, surprising the family there!
As you can tell, we spent a lot of time in the Pool!
But you tend to do that in 110 degree weather!
One of my Happy Places is floating on water, soaking up the Sun!
I could do that all day, and I practically did! :)
We were The Vacationers, Reading The Vacationers!!
(Can you tell we're all in the same Book Club?!)
We relaxed, played games, ate some great food
and just had some Family Time!
We did some Thrift Shopping around town
And got Ice Cream, served by our Nieces Daughter!
My son celebrated his 26th Birthday while we were there!
I know, it's not possible that I have a child that old!
You can't visit Lake Havasu without seeing The London Bridge!
It's always nice to get away for a bit!
Hope you all are enjoying your Summer!
Tuesday, June 21, 2016
Wednesday, June 15, 2016
On my girls' 18th Birthday, this past October, we took them to see the Broadway Musical Wicked. The untold story of the witches of Oz. It is so good! If you ever get a chance, go see it! Idina Menzel and Kristin Chenoweth were the first to play the rolls & both won Tony Awards for them!
There are a lot of one liners & cute saying's from Wicked, so we started by making posters to hang around the house & back yard. And we incorporated The Wizard of Oz as well, since that is what Wicked is about after all!
Greeting our Guests at the front door was Our Welcome sign! Along with what happens to unwanted guests! ;) Watch out or we might drop a house on you as well!
I pulled out my Scarecrows I decorate with in the Fall, to sit in the Backyard. Where we turned a Corn Hole Game into "Toss Toss!!" (How Galinda teaches Elphaba to flirt by flipping her hair!) ;) We also strung white lights around the backyard with about 25 Mason Jars with tea lights inside them. And placed candles inside our fire pit (since we live in Arizona & it's too hot to actually use the fire pit!) circled by chairs, which made for a nice outdoor space after the sun went down!
I found this Tin Man cup at Goodwill for $1.99! I've had some little Wizard of Oz figurines since my girls were little, and once had a Wizard of Oz Birthday Party. I put them on a shelf in the entry way with a Playbill from the play! So cute!
Also in the entry way, I sat a vintage suitcase, like is used in the play, along with the Book. Yes, Wicked was a Book before it became a Broadway Musical Sensation! See, you learned something new today! :) Easy, but effective decorating!
Pinterest is a great place to get ideas! We started a Wicked Graduation Party Board awhile ago. You can see ours here. One idea we got from Pinterest was to make little Witches Brooms out of Pretzel Sticks and mini Peanut Butter Cups. Easy, Cute and Yummy!
For the food, we of course, in Wicked Fashion, had Pink and Green; We had green vegetables, and pink fruit. Made Yellow Brick Roads out of Meat & Cheese trays, Put potato & macaroni salads in pink & green bowls. All served on Pink & Green Plates & Napkins. We ordered Pink & Green Cup Cakes, but no place had Wicked themed cake decorations, so my creative daughter, Erica made some Good Witch Crowns & Bad Witch Black Hats Picks for the cupcakes. They looked so cute!
I made a Poster board for the gift table, of pictures of them through the years, from birth through Graduation, that said "Follow Your Own Yellow Brick Road!" Perfect for Twins!
I also found this idea for Party Favors on Pinterest; Changed For Good is one of the great songs of Wicked! So we made a sign saying "If knowing Erica and Lexi has Changed your life For Good, wear a pin." Then we had a Dorothy Basket with pins we'd had made, by my son's friend who has a pin business with one of their senior pictures on them. They turned out really great, and everyone loved them! You can find him here on Instagram.
Other party decorations included Pictures of the girls, and Their High School, along with sayings from the Play or Movie . . .
We found little magic wands and wanted Ruby Slippers to set around, but couldn't find any. Maybe if it had been around Halloween time, we could have found more Wizard of Oz & Wicked stuff. But what we did find was little plastic Cinderella shoe pencil sharpeners at Party City, we bought like 12 of them and some Red sparkly spray paint & made our own! You can see them throughout some of the pictures.
Our Party was Open House Style, guests could come between 6 & 10 pm. We had Family & Neighbors come. Some Friends we hadn't seen in a very long time, or not nearly often enough. And a bunch of our girls' High School Friends! Our little house got pretty full at times. It was loud & fun!!
We couldn't be Happier!
Friday, May 27, 2016
My Daughters decided that for Mother's Day, they wanted their gift to me to be for the 3 of us to get matching tattoos . . . They showed me the design, and I loved it & the idea!!
This is my 2nd Tattoo. You can read about my first one here. My girls are 18, and Erica has Tattoos, but this was Lexi's first one! She was excited & a little nervous, but she did great!
Yes, my name is Star. And I love Starfish. (I even hang them on my Christmas Tree!) And my Daughters are Mermaids. ;) And all 3 of our Favorite Place in the world is at the Beach! And I'm sure you've read the Story of the Starfish, if you haven't here it is . . .
A great reminder that no matter how small, or insignificant it may seem, we can all make a difference!
The Starfish, though Beautiful, is also a symbol of great Strength! Did you know that if one of it's arms are cut off, it will actually grow another one in it's place? That's pretty Awesome!
And that's all any Mother really wants for her Daughters isn't it? For them to be as Strong as they are Beautiful. And to know that they can make a difference! We are all Starfish!