Sunday, August 12, 2018

My Summer Is All Booked!

 
 A lot of my Summer Reading time has been devoted to the Neapolitan Novels. I have had them on my To Be Read List for quite some time now, written in Italian, translated into English. (I feel smarter already, don't you?) Having finally assembled all 4 in the series, I determined this was the year I would read them. But I have to admit I'm not loving them. Though they, in theory, are everything I usually love about Books . . . Set in Naples Italy, the 4 Books follow 2 Girls who meet in the 1950's throughout their life time. The ups & downs of female friendships through the years & in this case decades. They started out strong for me as these two little girls meet & it's their shared love for the Book Little Women that binds them together, and makes them want to be writers when they grow up! (Be still my Feminist, Little Women Loving heart!) But they are some of the most violent I have ever read. Set in the streets of a very poor neighborhood in Naples. The third book is my favorite so far & I've yet to read the last in the series. It's so heart breaking when a Book doesn't live up to it's potential for me. Though many people all around the world love these books & they are pretty highly rated. They are just not my cup of tea.

Here's one that did live up to it's potential for me; The Boston Girl! I'm finding that I'm liking Historical Fiction more than I thought I did. And anything that makes you see from a different point of view is very interesting to me. And this protagonist was ahead of her time! And I'm glad I found her in mine! It's an easy read & well worth it!

 And what would a Summer Reading List be without an Elin Hilderbrand Book?! The quintessential Summer Read! Her Books, always set on Nantucket, and this one about Identical Twins very different from each other & from most characters you read about before is a fun one!

Look at this a male Author! :) I am a John Grisham fan! But this one isn't his typical Court Room Drama, of which I've read many & really like. Camino Island is set in Florida about an Author, a Bookstore, and a Crime. It's different for him and I really enjoyed it! If you love Books, you will like this one! The Perfect Beach Read!


Okay, so I didn't read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society this Summer, I read it a long time ago. But Netflix just came out with an Original Movie of it, staring Lily James, who is also in "Mamma Mia Here We Go Again" this Summer. And you have to see it! (And you also have to see Mamma Mia!) So Good!! 

I hope you are having a fun filled Summer, complete with good Books, good Movies and great Memories! And as always, let me know what your Reading & Watching in your Booked Summer!

No comments: