Monday, April 20, 2009

Remembering Columbine

It was 10 years ago today . . . I'm sure you remember exactly where you were, I know I do.
We were living in Michigan, we had two elementary school aged boys and one year old twin girls.

John was home from the church office and I came down the stairs carrying a load of laundry. As I walked through the living room, it was on the T.V.

Now, even though we didn't have teenagers yet then, we were Youth Pastors, so we had 60-80 teenagers that we considered our own.

I remember very clearly just stopping and then slowly sitting down on the floor there in front of the television, John slid off the couch to sit next to me. Tears streaming down my face.

It was unbelievable. Yet it was happening. Right before our eyes.

I've read the books by the parents of Columbine students Cassie Bernall & Rachel Scott. I loved them both, they were very well done.

I've had many conversations with my kids since then about bullying, and making fun of someone, and how you never know what's happened in that persons life, and how what may seem like harmless fun can be the last straw that breaks the camels back.

In 2007 John and I went to a Worship conference in Denver. On one of our free days we drove to Littleton, and went to Columbine High School. They have built a Beautiful memorial in the park right next to the school.

I must say, it was a little strange being there. As we looked at the school, you could just see it as it was that day, with all the students running from the building.

My friend Stefanie over at Because I Pause shared her memories of living in Denver during that time. And a video done by CNN. I'd love it if you'd head over there.

There is a wall that circles the memorial that has sayings engraved on it written by student's, teachers, faculty, and parents. It was very moving! This one touched me the most:

8 comments:

stefanie said...

We lived in Denver then, in married student housing at Denver Seminary. We had friends who were worked with youth in the aftermath. None of the youth in our church went to Columbine.

I remember sirens. Sirens from late morning til into the evening. Shock, and a sense of time standing still. My kindergartner's school in lock-down, trying to explain to her what happened in an appropriate way, and her need to take flowers to the memorial a few days later.

Your pictures took me back.

Star Forbis said...

Thanks so much Stefanie for sharing your story with us.

I remember driving through town, thinking this looks like such a nice place to grow-up! Which just shows it could happen anywhere. And unfortunately it has happened again since then.

I think it was hard for EVERY Mom to send your kids to school after that, I'm sure it was terrible being right there.

Michelle said...

yesterday was the anniversary of the okc bombing. sad times we live in.

over from sits.

Star Forbis said...

Yes, I remember the Oklahoma City bombing very well too. My oldest son (who is graduating from High School this year) was in Preschool then. He learned about the bombing and prayed for the families.

I remember one Sunday afternoon, walking out of a restaurant where our server had given him a balloon. When we got outside, he let the balloon go, and I asked him why did you let that go, you wanted that balloon so much? And he said "I let it go, so those kids in the bombing can play with it in heaven!"

Stephanie said...

This impacted me on a huge level, too. I live in Central IL and did at that time, too....then my children were 11, 10, and 6. I cried, too...and prayed for all involved. This had a huge impact on me as I realized, like you said, that this could happen anywhere. I watched the Today Show interview with Rachel Scott's family yesterday and now want very much to get their book. Thanks for this post!
~Hugs!`

jubilee said...

Well put. Thanks for the reminder.

(You were above me in SITS, so I thought I'd pop over!)

Ashley said...

I remember my mom being heartbroken at the time. She was a high school teacher and I was a high school freshman. It hit home while still being thousands of miles away.

Stopping by from SITS.

Blogger said...

Need To Boost Your ClickBank Commissions And Traffic?

Bannerizer makes it easy for you to promote ClickBank products using banners, simply go to Bannerizer, and grab the banner codes for your picked ClickBank products or use the Universal ClickBank Banner Rotator to promote all of the available ClickBank products.