Monday, September 29, 2008

A Lesson Learned At The Emmys

Last week I watched a little bit of the Emmy Awards. And usually all those acceptance speeches get long and boring, with the I'd like to thank all the "little People". . . But as I was watching this year, there was a part in an acceptance speech that actually meant something to me as a mom. When it was said I actually said out loud "I Love That she just said that!"

It was Tina Fey from Saturday Night Live. She is also a writer/producer of her own show called 30 Rock. I've never really watched 30 Rock, but maybe I should because it won a ton of Emmy Awards for best comedy, the writing, the acting, and more.


I wanted to get the quote right so I googled it and watched again. Tina Fey said, Quote: "I want to thank my parents for somehow raising me to have confidence that is disproportionate with my looks and abilities. Well done. That is what all parents should do." Unquote. I love that!

I've never said it in so many words, but, That is what I've longed to do for my children. Let them know that they can do or be anything they put their mind to. And to know that they are perfect just the way God created them. That they don't have to try to fit the mold of the world. To look or act any certain way, or to try to be something they're not just to be accepted. And of course I fail at times. I say the wrong things sometimes. But, I hope they can see my heart. (or at least read it in my Blog) ; )

Way to go Tina Fey's parents! This is a lesson all parents could use.

And to think we learned something at the Emmy's!

3 comments:

stefanie said...

Great quote! I didn't watch, but I'm glad you did. Now I have to figure out how to accomplish that. She didn't happen to include their phone number, did she?

Darcine said...

That was awesome!! I just realized what a "gift" confidence is. Usually, we seek to find it, and it is usually hard to find. However, to have someone "give" it to you is priceless. Great quote!! Now, if I could just be confident that I am giving my kids confidence. :o)

Ronnica said...

I like 30 Rock, but it's a little raunchy sometimes for me. Tina Fey's sense of humor is SO funny though!

Thanks for stopping by my place on your first day of SITS!