Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The Perils of Jr. High School

Last night I took my baby girls to the 6th Grade Parent Night at the Jr. High School they will go to next year. I don't think (no, I know) I'm not ready for them to go to Jr. High. They, on the other hand are all excited. They love the idea of being able to chose an elective class for themselves. . . Lexi is going to stick with Band, she LOVES playing the flute! And practices non stop! Erica on the other hand, we can not get to practice her French Horn any more, and she no longer wants to be in band. She wants to be in Drama or Choir.

I've been dreading this for a few years now, Jr. High girls can be extremely mean! With boys, (and I know this to be true, because I have two sons & five brothers!) when they get angry with each other, may get into an argument or even a fist fight, but, the very next day they can be best buds again. With girls there is much more emotional damage, one girl will tell all the other girls not to like you or talk to you if she's mad at you. And they can say very hurtful things. That saying "Sticks & stones may break my bones, but words can never hurt me" is so untrue. Words hurt the most! And in this day & age, with Facebook & texting, even when you go home, you can't get away from it . . . the meanness can follow you right into your own house.

So, I'm being pro active for my girls. Now grant it, it's been quite some time since I was in Jr. High school, but, I do manage a clothing store at the mall, and employ four young ladies, two of which will graduate from High School this year, and two who recently graduated. And I asked them for advice. To come up with some tips for my girls as they enter into Jr. High school. I thought I'd share their advice here, so other moms & girls can benefit from their great advice too. Now some of the things I had thought of, but they thought of things I never would have. So here is the advice of Taylor, Olivia, Hannah & Brittany for girls just going into Jr. High . . .

-Don't run to the lunch room. Everyone will laugh at you.

-Smile & try to say Hi to everyone.

-Try your best to remember the names of the other kids you meet.

-Don't read the school map after the first week of school. You might get made fun of.

And yes, they will have P.E. everyday. Their advice for that is . . .

-Don't wear little girl underwear, like the kind with Barbie or Disney Princesses on them. You will be laughed at in the locker room.

-Wear the little bootie socks, not ankle or high socks. That is uncool.

-Keep an extra deodorant in your P.E. locker.

Now I knew about the deodorant, like I said, I have two sons who went through it. But, I never would have thought of the underwear thing. I guess I better check to see if my girls still have any of that little girl kind. I don't know if I'm ready for this.

If you have some good advice for girls going into Jr. High school. I would so appreciate it. Just leave a comment on this post with your words of wisdom for my girls, and anyone else's who might read this. The easier the transition, the better.

And How in the world did my girls go from this to this? Help!!

3 comments:

Julie said...

Jr. High/Middle School was the worst time for me. I was so awkward that it just continued. I would add to the list -- don't style your hair with the latest fad... it will come back to haunt you! (Or at least that's what I think every time I look back at those pictures!) :)

Hi from SITS (and Twitter!)

Kristin @ Meanbean said...

that is SO good to know...mine is 7 going on 15....thank you for this post!

Jamie said...

Aww! How exciting! Great post and advice for your girls.

Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest!