Sunday, September 7, 2008

Girl Power!

The other day I was saying how excited I am that we have a Woman running for Vice President of the United States. And a friend of mine asks me (half jokingly) "How can you be a Christian and a Feminist?" I didn't even hesitate, or have to think about my answer, I just simply said "They go hand in hand. Jesus was the first feminist!" After all it's my Bible that tells me that Men and Women are created equally, and that BOTH are created in the very image of God.

Now don't get me wrong, I, in no way wish to be a man. I love men, (especially my man) but, as the old song put it "I adore being a girl." And I've been told that I am a very girly girl at that. And we all know which is really the stronger sex. ; ) But, I do think that men and women both should be given the same choices in life. And that girls can do anything boys can do! (except maybe for pee standing up, but they can't give birth, so I guess were even.) And if a woman does the same job as a man, they should get paid the same. If those things make me a feminist, then I guess that's what I am.

As a Mother, I've always tried to convey this to my kids (of both sexes.) That we treat everyone with respect. That no race, sex, social status, nationality, etc., makes any one person of more value than any other. We are all created by God with a purpose in life. And after all, If we know who we are in Christ, than no one else can take that away form us, or tell us any different.

You Go Girl!

No comments: