Monday, July 28, 2008

In a New York State of Mind

OK, so you know I'm a big movie buff. (My mind is full of useless information) so imagine my disappointment when we're sitting on the Staten Island Ferry and I said "You guys, we are sitting where they filmed the movie Working Girl!" only to realize that none of the teenagers I was with has ever seen that movie, and well, I guess that makes since since it came out when I was their age. And I wore the blue eye shadow just like Joan Cusack did in that movie!

But I did score points with them when we walked into Grand Central Station and told them that in X-men when Rouge ran away this is where she came and Wolverine followed her here. They got excited about that one. As well as The Witness was filmed there. Not to mention that at the subway stations we could be where Ghost, Crocodile Dundee, and The Pursuit of Happiness were filmed.

I've already mentioned we stood where An Affair to Remember, Sleepless in Seattle, Breakfast at Tiffany's, The Apprentice, and Big were filmed. And also in the Empire State Building we stood where Elf and King Kong were filmed. We were also where Home Alone II, Miracle on 34th Street, Serendipity, You've got mail, and When Harry met Sally was shot.

We saw the Museum where Night at the Museum was filmed. The Library in The Day after Tomorrow. The bridge and the tram from Spiderman II, we saw places on Hitch, Enchanted, Saturday Night Fever, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Godzilla and Cloverfield. Just to mention a few.

One of the kids mentioned how new York City looked like Sesame Street. But I thought more of The Cosby Show, Friends, Seinfeld, or The King of Queens. It seems there was a movie or T.V. show reference for every place we went! Now when we see a movie filmed in New York, we can say we've been there! fun.

And I have to tell you about the infamous Subway incident: We had spent the evening in a park in Brooklyn talking with and ministering to people. Afterwards we got to stay in the park for a concert by the New York Philharmonic, followed by a great fireworks show. So, it was close to midnight when we took the Subway back home to Queens. One of the girls on our trip, (the youngest and smallest girl of our group) fell asleep on the subway ride back. When we got to our stop Kyle tried to wake her up. She opened her eyes and looked around not registering where she was, she just kinda sat there dazed. The rest of the group had gotten off the train and we always regrouped on the platform to count heads. So, I step off the train behind the majority of the group and Zach had waited for Kyle and Shaina. The three of them were still on the train when the doors closed behind me. Now during the day it wouldn't have mattered that much, they would have known to ride the subway to the next stop, get off, go up the stairs then down the stairs on the other side and take the train going the opposite direction back to our stop. But, at night a lot of the trains don't run, and they shut down a lot of the stations. So, you have to take different trains, on different routes and try to end up some where close to where you want to be. So, who knows where they could have ended up that night.

And the rest of the group standing off to the side tell the story of hearing me yell "Wait!" and they turn around to see me pry open those subway doors to get the kids off. They swear that I turned green and became the Incredible Hulk in that moment! (How's that for a movie reference?) All I know is I had a huge black mark down my arm and my arms were so sore that night! They teased me the rest of the time we were there, Kyle said "Man, we could have gotten lost in New York, how cool would that have been!" not very cool if you ask me. And, did I mention that cell phones don't work in the subway. And every time we got on the subway after that, they'd all say "Shaina, don't fall asleep!" Their story got bigger every time they told it, telling people I caved in the doors, and damaged the whole side of the subway car!

I guess that old saying is true "Never get between a Momma Bear and her Cubs!"

No comments: