Monday, December 6, 2010

The 12 Days Of Christmas Movies: Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer


I've written about a "classic" Christmas movie, a newer Christmas movie, and now I'm adding a cartoon . . . After all, what would a Christmas Movie List be without Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer on it?!


This movie came out in 1964, which just happens to be the year I was born! :) It's about one of Santa's Reindeer that happens to be born "different" from the rest. A birth defect, if you will. His nose is red, not black like a Reindeer's nose should be, and it glows! He is ridiculed by his classmates, even bullied, and decides to run away. He meets up with Hermey, an Elf, who dreams of being a Dentist, thus not fitting in with the other Elves, who has also run away. Together they set out looking for a place they can fit in.

"Why am I such a misfit?
I am not just a nit-wit."

They happen upon The Island of Misfit Toys, where all the toys who are no longer played with, or are damaged or broken live. I remember as a little girl being heart broken for those toys, wanting to bring them to my house, so they would no longer feel like misfits. But even among mis-fits, Rudolph & Hermey don't quite fit in.

"A Toy is never truly Happy until it is Loved by a Child."

It gets very intense, and keeps you on the edge of your seat, as together they struggle through getting lost, bad weather, and being chased by The Abominable Snowman. (And you thought he didn't exist!) I don't want to give the ending away, (just by chance, the one person in the world who has never seen it, just happens to be reading my Blog. haha) but our misfits end up Hero's by saving Christmas. No longer teased, or made fun of, but now the ones everyone else wants to be like! They even help Santa find homes for the misfit toys! A real Happy ending!

"Rudolph, with your nose so bright,
won't you guide my sleigh tonight?"

2 comments:

C. JoyBell C. said...

sounds so cute... i feel inspired to go out and look for Christmas movies now.. !

I remember my my beloved, departed grandmother would always put on The Nutcracker for us all every Christmas... omg I miss her...

Star Forbis said...

Oh, I love the Nutcracker too! :)