Thursday, January 31, 2013

I've Never Been So Thankful To Have The Flu!


I know that may sound strange to say I was actually Thankful & even Grateful to have the Flu this week, but let me explain, by starting at the beginning; back in July I started breaking out in Hives. I kept thinking they would go away & they kept not going away. I would wake up every morning covered in Hives. Large red welts, that would hurt & itch. When even my face started swelling & it got difficult to breath I decided to go to the Doctor. (Also my health Insurance from my new job kicked in!) He put me on high doses of Steroids to knock out the hives & sent me to an Allergist.

I underwent two rounds of skin tests for allergies & thankfully I'm not allergic to any foods! I can keep eating whatever I want to! Yay me! :) Actually the only thing the skin tests did show was a mild to moderate reaction to some molds. At this point the Dr. thought it could be Auto Immune. One of my biggest fears in life was about to come to the forefront. He asked me if there was any Lupus in my family. And yes, my Sister had Lupus. She passed away, from Cancer, not from Lupus, but I watched her struggle with it my whole life. Back when I was pregnant with my Twin Daughters (who are now 15) I had a Blood test called an A.N.A. which was positive. I was told then, that it didn't necessarily mean that I had Lupus, but everyone who does have Lupus is positive, And that it should be something I should keep an eye on throughout my life.

Now I have always loved my Sister Dearly! And there are many ways I have wanted to be like her, but this was not one of them. And like I said it's been one of my biggest fears in my life, that I would have Lupus. It had been there in the back of my mind & when I started having Hives I googled everything from bed bugs to shingles, to allergic reactions, to try to figure out what it could be. The one thing I knew I was avoiding looking up, was Lupus. Finally I gave in & looked it up & it talked about rash & hives. I began to worry. Then when my Dr. wanted to test me for it, I knew this was it. My fears were coming true. I got the Blood test & waited & worried. I told only my family that I was being tested. And I know they prayed. I was trying to come to terms what my life would be like from this point on.

Two days before my appointment to find out my test results, I woke up really dizzy & nauseous & for the first time in my last 4 jobs, except for family emergencies, I called in sick. It was not pretty. For two days, I couldn't lift my head off the pillow without nearly falling over. I could remember my sister dealing with dizziness & nausea. I remember John coming into the room to check on me & found me crying. When he asked me why, I said, "What if this is the rest of my life? Me, too sick to work, or be involved in the kids' lives?" He kind of laughed, & said, "You're not going to be sick for the rest of your life, you just have the Flu!" I said "The Flu is throwing up, not being dizzy!" He said "It's been all over the news, this year it's been effecting people with dizziness really bad!" I tell you, I've never been so happy to have the flu! Thank you God!

Then on the 3rd day, I was still tired & weak, but I could at least get up. John went with me to my Dr.'s appointment. And my test for Lupus is NEGATIVE! I am so relieved! Again, Thank You God! The Dr. still doesn't know just what's causing my hives, the Blood test for allergies were all negative. He's upping my Antihistamines to try & knock it out, and wants me to try to go all fragrance free! Me, who worked at Bath & Body Works, & uses all it's fragranced soaps, body washes, lotions, creams, hand sanitizers, candles, room fresheners, car fresheners, well you get the picture! My husband actually LOL'd when the Dr. asked if I used fragranced body care! Ouch! But, I'll try anything at this point. So we bought fragrance free laundry detergent, & shower gel. Hope I survive this! :) On the way home I texted all my brothers, sister in laws & my kids to let them know I didn't have Lupus, & my Hubby said "Tell, them, now they really have to start praying, since you can't use your Bath & Body Works!" :)

1 comment:

stormy clark said...

So happy u dont have lupus like mom cuz it was so hard on her