Monday, April 30, 2012

Soul Surfer


It was such a Great Movie, we saw it twice in the Theater last year, when it came out! (And of course I cried both times, because, that's what I do!) :) It stars Annasophia Robb (one of my girls favorite actresses) Helen Hunt, Denis Quaid & Carrie Underwood.


It's the true story of a young girl in Hawaii, with dreams of becoming a professional surfer, who is well on her way, when she is attacked by a Shark. She survives the attack, but looses her arm. Are her dreams of surfing professionally over? (You will have to watch the Movie to find out.) My girls were so inspired by her story. As soon as we walked out of the Theater, they were on Twitter & Facebook, finding & following Bethany Hamilton. They are, after all MY Daughters! :)


After seeing the movie my Girls just had to read the Book as well. (Again, Like Mother, Like Daughters!) :) It's a little on a younger level than they were reading, but they we're so inspired by Bethany & her story, they read it anyway, and did a Book Report for school on her story. You know we all think we are Hawaiian anyway, since we've taken Hula lessons, and love anything to do with Hawaii! So, don't burst our bubble & tell us we're not! 


Well it's a year latter & my Daughter saw Bethany had Tweeted that she would be speaking in the Phoenix area. And she begged me to take her & her sister to see her. Now, you know my husband is a Worship Pastor at a Church. So going to see Bethany Hamilton speak would mean this Pastor's Wife & Pastor's Kids would have to play Hooky from our own Church, & go visit a different Church where she was speaking on a Sunday morning. So, guess what we did? We played Hooky & went to a different Church to see Bethany Hamilton speak! (Please, don't tell on us!) :)


My girls were so Excited to go! It was a Church in Scottsdale, AZ. The Pastor kind of "Interviewed" Bethany, asking her questions & letting her share her inspiring story. She's so fun to listen to, with her Surfer Lingo, using words like: "Rad", "Stoked" & "Gnarly!" :) On the way home we were talking about the lessons she'd learned & the advice she shared for young people, which was: The Decisions You Make Now Will Effect The Rest Of Your Life! And to Choose Your Friends Wisely! Then my 14 year old Daughter reminded me that she had also advised them to Listen To Your Parents! How could I have missed that one? Glad my Girls caught it though! :) Love it!


Thank you Bethany Hamilton, for being an Inspiration, to not only my Girls, but to Teenagers & Kids everywhere! And if you have not seen the Movie Soul Surfer yet, run right out & buy or rent it now! You won't be sorry!

No comments: