Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The Shack


Every Sunday in January our church is doing a series based on the New York Times Best Seller "The Shack", so needless to say, I along with many others, am reading the book. So many people have read this book it's astounding. John got to hear the writer speak at a conference he was at this year. We also downloaded the book on itunes (for only $5.99) so Kyle would "read it", since he is my non reader!

And I have to say it's not an easy book to read. As a mother of two daughters, with what happens in the book to a little girl . . . let's just say, after I read that chapter I didn't sleep very well at all.

But it's getting very interesting now. It really causes you to think about God in a different way than you probably ever have before. And I was thinking (dangerous I know) how awesome it would be to actually go to a place like the shack, where you could literally be alone with God.

What would I ask Him?

What would you ask Him?

Would it be "Why?" Why do things happen in life?, Why do we have to face certain things?

Or would it be "Who?" Who was I created to be?

Or maybe "What?" What was I created to do?

The list could go on and on. Or would you ask for something you needed? Or for someone else?

How would we talk to God about our husbands and kids? Our friends & families, and even our enemy's? Because you know, He hears us, even now. Even if He isn't physically visible to us, like He is in the book.

Something to think about. The author William P. Young quotes A.W. Tozer in the book with saying:

An infinite God can give all of Himself to each of His children.
He does not distribute Himself that each may have a part.
but to each one He gives all of Himself as fully as if
there were no others.

12 comments:

Tara Bennett said...

Thanks for the recommendation. I especially love the quote.

stefanie said...

Love, love the quote too. It's easy to forget just how big God is.

Jodi said...

I've heard about this book and have wanted to pick it up at the store. I'm glad you wrote a little about it. It's just hard to read having a two year old daughter! But I'd still like to eventually read it! :)

Joy said...

I read that book last year. Your right the beginning is hard to read about the little girl. I have two girls too.
He did help me open my eyes to how personal a relationship with God can really be.

Unknown said...

I read this book for my book club a few months back. I am still trying to decide if I liked it or not. Hmmmm....it was interesting, but I just don't even know what to say about it!!! Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

insightful post. I may have to think about acquiring THE SHACK.

Jenkins said...

My hubbie just read this book. I am going to start it.
We are dealing with a special needs child with lots of medical needs. He found this book to speak to our circumstance and understanding why God puts us through such trials and how we try to understand more about him through it all.
Looking forward to reading.

Paula said...

I'm enjoying your blog. My hubby read this book and I think he liked it but while we was reading it he would ask me some very strange questions. So maybe I'll pick up the book. I just don't know if I can knowing what happens in the beginning. My hubby spilled the beans and didn't think I would like it.

CreativeMish said...

I thought this was a fabulous book. And it would be awesome to have one on one time with him to ask him questions. I would probably be speechless in awe though

Crazee Juls said...

I loved "The Shack"... and it was a difficult read, but one that truly had an impact on my relationship with God.

Michelle said...

I know there has been some controversy regarding this book but I have to say that it really helped me to think of my relationship with God on a more personal level! I am not a big reader myself but I'd heard so much about this book that I had to see what it was all about myself and I read it in a day and a half, in between taking care of my boys. That's a record for me!

Barb said...

So many people I know have read this book. They all want to talk about it, but when they realize I haven't read it, they restrain from sharing. I was hoping to read it this summer while floating on my raft at the lake, but I think I should read it much sooner. Your questions were great, and they are helping me decide to just buck up and read it. Thank you.