Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Haiti

One week ago today the country of Haiti was hit by a devastating earthquake. The images coming out of there are heartbreaking. So much destruction & death. . . I chose not to put them here on my Blog.

I was first introduced to the country of Haiti when I was about 12 years old. My older brother George went there on a Missions trip. I remember crying when he left, thinking I'd never see him again. I did. He came back with pictures, some souvenirs and a love for the people there. Describing to us the sights & smells of the country.

I now have a neighbor who is from Haiti. Who goes back home every year to help take care of their property & aging family members. Her daughter just let me know that their house there is still standing, all accept a back wall (fence) and that her family members are safe. Thank God.

We have been praying for the people of Haiti and for the relief efforts there. Our Church is partnering with Food for the Hungry to help. You can find a link on our website. I've also texted the word Haiti to 90999. Which gives $10.00 right to The Red Cross. It adds it to your phone bill at the end of the month. That's an easy way we can all help. There are many ways to help. Please find a way that works for you. There are many great organizations doing their best to help & every little bit we can do makes a difference. And please continue to hold that country up in your prayers.

No comments: