Friday, April 24, 2015

The Family That Reads Together . . .


The Idea came to us when two of my Nieces (who, like me, Love to Read) and I, went to see one of our Favorite Authors, Elizabeth Gilbert (who wrote Eat Pray Love) speak. She is a great writer and speaker as well. We had so much fun and talked about how great it would be to get together on a regular basis to talk about Books. And the Idea of a Family Book Club was birthed!

  

I wanted a fun, catchy name, so the BookFinks BookClub was born! :) Yes, my Maiden Name was Fink (It's German I believe) and it is still my Nieces last name! So, why not go with it?!


My talented Husband made a Logo for us. In some countries in Europe "Fink" is "Finch" (a small bird) which I know you are thinking that's better than what it means here in America! HaHa


The first Book we read & discussed was Where'd You Go Bernadette by: Maria Semple. A Quirky, light hearted mystery. Then we read the darker The Girl On The Train by: Paula Hawkins. And then Elizabeth Gilbert's Epic Novel The Signature Of All Things. (Though she is a really good writer, I do prefer her travel memoirs to her Fiction)


Of the 3 Books we have read, I've rated them each on GoodReads only 2 to 3 stars (out of 5 stars) So we're hoping the Books we chose get better! :) Good Reads if you aren't familiar, is my Favorite Website! You can keep track of Books you've read & want to read, create Virtual Bookshelves, find new Books to read, and connect with other Book Lovers & Authors as well. If you're not on, you should be! And you should become my Friend!


So far the BookFinks BookClub consists of my two Nieces, my two Daughters (when the book is appropriate for teenagers!) my Daughter in Law and myself. A few more family members try to read the books we're reading & come when they can. And I can not tell you how honored I am that this younger generation actually likes to spend time with me! (or at least they pretend to for my sake!) ;) We've had from 3 to 6 of us at our meetings thus far. But it is open to anyone who loves to read and discuss Literature! You don't even have to be a Fink to become a BookFink! :)


We are all in the Phoenix Metropolitan Area, some of us in the east valley and some on the west side, which is about an hour's drive apart, so we decided to hold our meetings in the middle! We meet once a month at a Bookstore or a Coffee Shop in Downtown Phoenix!  And no matter how many or few of us are there, or weather we loved or hated the Book, we always have a fun time and lots of laughs!

 

We've tried to come up with what we'll read next ahead of time. And next up is Neal Shusterman's Unwind. This one's going to be interesting! Then before it comes out as a Movie this June, Paper Towns by: John Green, who wrote The Fault In Our Stars! And we're thinking of Beautiful Day by the queen of Summer Reads; Elin Hilderbrand.




So what do you think of our choices? And what are some of your best Book Club selections? Feel free to read along with us & come out to our meetings to talk them over. You can like us & follow along on our Facebook Page!

No comments: