Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Lessons Learned from Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons

I've shared before things I've learned in books. Like The Divine Secrets I've learned from the YaYa Sisterhood. And I thought I'd do it again. I've just finished reading Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons by: Lorna Landvik. it's such a fun read. It's about 5 young mothers who all move into a couldusac in the 1960's and decide to start a Book Club! They go through many books, & decades of life together! It's probably not an appropriate book for my book club to read (we have a few teenagers who attend) but I still wanted to talk about it! After all I love books & I love to talk! :) So, here are some things I picked up from these Angry Houswives along the way:


Good Posture and an attitude let you get away with anything.
The type of person who got away with a lot simply because
she refused to ask permission for the privilege of being herself.

Life is like a bowl of spaghetti, it's still good even when it's all tangled up.

What I had come to love about book club was how in hearing so many opinions about the same book, your own opinion expanded, as if you'd read the book several times instead of just once.

There are outlaws inside all of us -
ready to break rules that need to be broken.
But society doesn't want its wives and mothers to be outlaws,
so most of the time we repress that voice that tells us to break rules.

I believe God can be found just as easily in a bowling alley as in a pew.

If you don't like where you're at, move.

What I don't like is when feminism tries to do away with what's feminine.

I was taught in Sunday School that "In the beginning there was light,"
but to me, it was always an incomplete sentence, which God should have known to amend:
in the beginning God created light . . . to read by.

If you think that it's true, that you can't judge a book by its cover,
then why do you choose to dress the way you do?

Bossy girls might be a pain, but they get whay they want.

Mothers united would be a powerful force.

Isn't that what friends are for,
hearing about the things that don't make you perfect
and loving you anyway?

By the end of the book, you feel like these are your friends, & you don't want to say goodbye to them. It was sad to have to put this book down. But, of course there are many fish in the sea! Or in this case, many books in the book store! :) My Husband snaped this picture of me, below, on his Iphone in Half Price Books looking for my next read! I picked up Best Friends Forever & Eat, Pray, Love! Which I thought were great selections, until my 18 year old son, Zach, showed me his selections; War and Peace & Schindler's List! (Can you tell who the smart one in the family is?!) Well, at least he got his love for books from his Mother! :)

1 comment:

Pam said...

I read Angry Housewives... a few years ago and loved the premise of neighbors forming a book club. Loved your quotes/words of wisdom. Like you, I copy quotes from books that speak to me. I keep mine in a journal and I also post some of them on the sidebar of my blog under the title "Quote of the Moment".