Monday, February 24, 2014

Arizona's Right To Discriminate Bill

Unless you've been living under a rock you've heard about a new bill here in Arizona, SB 1062, or as it's called the Right To Discriminate Bill. Let me give you a little background; I believe one of the springboards, among other things, was a floral company that is being sued for refusing to do the flowers for a lesbian wedding, citing religious beliefs. Now this isn't the first controversial bill passed here in the great state of Arizona, SB 1070 on Illegal Immigration was first, you can read my take on that one here.  As you know I am a Christian, so I thought I'd share my take on this, with all my wit & wisdom, (which you know I have a lot of both!) :) and how I believe all Christians & all Americans should feel & respond to this bill.


First of all let me start with a NEWS FLASH here for all Arizona Christian Business Owners: EVERY single customer you do business with, wait for it . . . is a Sinner! Shocking I know! But no matter how perfect you might think you are, take another look my friend. And these are the Very people you were put here to reach & to love! If you run a Business, then do business! (or don't!)

The scary thing about this bill is that if you really wanted to you could find a "religious" reason to not do business with anyone! The KKK is a religion to some people. Is it okay for them to discriminate against people not of their race? Many religions believe women are not equal to men, is it then okay for them to discriminate against women to "keep them in their place?" Whether that means not paying female employees the same as male, or even physical harm? I should hope not. This is a very dangerous path we are treading.

It brings to mind a singer from back in the 80's (you know I heart the 80's!). Steve Taylor was kind of a new wave Christian artist, to who's sarcastic style I could relate to. (In our house we call it Starcasm!) :)  In his song Guilty By Association he made fun of people who "will only drink milk from a Christian cow!" And another song, that just this past Sunday we sang in our Church by a group called For King And Country that so beautifully says, "Let my Life be the Proof, the Proof of Your Love. Let my Love look like You and what You're made of."

We, as Christ's Followers, are put on this earth to be His hands extended. To show His love to a hurting world. Mother Theresa once said "Find someone no one else loves & Love Them." Love is not just what God does, it's who God is! God is Love! And He loves us unconditionally. Not because we follow rules, or act or don't act in certain ways. We don't have to become something we're not to earn or gain Christ's love. In fact the Bible in Romans 5:6-8 tells us: For while we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly.For one will scarcely die for a righteous person—though perhaps for a good person one would dare even to die— but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. You see, there is nothing we could do that would make Christ love us more! And there is nothing we could do to make Him love us any less. We should remember that when dealing with others. After all Christ died for them too! So what part of Love Thy Neighbor As You Love Yourself do we not understand?


No comments: