Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The 12 Days Of Christmas Movies: The Santa Clause


Okay, we're 4 day's into The 12 Days Of Christmas Movies! Hope you are enjoying it as much as I am. It's obvious I love Christmas Movies! And when I asked my followers on Twitter what are some of their favorites, this next one came up several times. And I love it too for several reasons.

It's The Santa Clause! The main reason I love this movie is that it answers every question you ever wanted to know about Santa! And how he does what he does. Like me, I'm sure you've wondered about a few things. I grew up in Phoenix, Arizona so my house did not have a fire place. I knew he came in through the fire place, and I wanted to know how Santa got in to houses like mine. This movie holds the answer! It's the magic of Christmas brought to life!

"Seeing isn't Believing.
Believing is Seeing."

Just yesterday my son Zach was saying to me, he can't believe as intelligent as he always was, that he believed in Santa for so long. (He thinks it was up until about Fifth Grade!) I told him it was ONLY because he has such an Awesome Mom! (If I do say so myself! and I do!) :) When ever my kids would begin to question, or they had heard something from someone at school, I just told them, "well, I believe in Santa" and let them take it from there. Kids are faced with too harsh a reality for the rest of their lives. I say part of our job as a parent is to encourage imagination in them when they are little. "Who gave you permission to tell Charlie there was no Santa Claus? I think if we're going to destroy our son's delusions, I should be a part of it." (Scott Calvin, The Santa Clause)

"I'm seeing someone in Gift Wrap!"

Zach also told me his College English Professor told their class that the day he stopped believing in Santa, was the day he stopped believing in God. That is so sad. I doubt God was a regular in his home growing up. People have questioned me about the Santa -vs- God issue. And my take on it is this: I could see a child comparing the two if God, like Santa, was only talked about at one time of the year. In that case I can see how a child might confuse the two. But if God is talked about & talked TO & Worshiped each & every day of the year in your household, I don't see the harm in allowing your children to believe in Santa Clause or the Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, etc. Studies show that children who grow up encouraged to use their imagination, and play make believe, are generally more intelligent, as well as happier. That's just my humble opinion, you of course have to decide whats right for your family.

"Tinsel. Not just for Decoration!"
E.L.F.S.

This movie also answers questions about the Elves, the North Pole, the sleigh & the Reindeer. Not to mention what "There arose such a clatter" really means! :) It helps you to understand how Santa travels the world in just one night. And I know you've thought about it! What happens if he should ever fall off the roof? How does one become Santa? Questions all answered in this movie. And it's just plain ol' F.U.N. It will really put you in the Christmas spirit!

"Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!
When I get home I'm getting a CAT scan!"

No comments: